Monday, September 8, 2008

Being a Teacher/Foreigner in Guatemala


This is not technically my home. I was not born in Guatemala, and I have only spent a little over a year living here. However, it amazes me how much I feel at home in this country. Since moving to Guatemala to teach, I have gone "home" to Iowa twice. And both times, upon returning to Guatemala City, I felt so comfortable, and felt so excited to be back, that I truly do consider this my new home.

But living anywhere has its challenges and its benefits. One obvious difficulty in Guatemala is the safety. I have a mountain bike here, but every time I ride around in the zone where I live, I worry that someone could easily steal my bike from me. At night, it's fairly safe in certain zones to walk around, but once again, there's always the notion that something, anything could happen.

It's not just the safety though. Another challenge is the language. It's nearly impossible to become part of a culture if you can't speak to the people, and for the first six months or so, it was hard for me to order food, get my hair cut, and even shop for groceries.  Fortunately my Spanish has improved a great deal, but there are many times when someone will ask me something, and the only response I can give them is, "Que manda," or, "Otra vez," or, if I'm feeling especially brave, "Lo siento, no te entendi."

Anyone who's traveled or lived in different countries knows that challenges exist everywhere, but so do benefits and beauties. The most beautiful thing about Guatemala for me is the people. Sure the weather is nice--when it's not raining--and there are places which take my breath away. But for me, it's the demeanor of the people that has continued to awe me. And I'm not talking about the people trying to sell me camisas, or pens that say Guatemala. Never have I met a vender in any country and thought, "What a sweet person you are." But the kids I've met, the parents, the friends I have who are Guatemaltecos; are incredibly generous with their time, and open to me as a foreigner. They do not automatically hate me because I'm from the US or because I look differently. Each and every day I experience the warmth of the people here in Guatemala, whether it's the lady that cuts my hair, or my Spanish tutor.

Finally, I also love the fact that I can climb volcanoes here, visit the beach in an hour, travel to one of the most beautiful lakes in the world, and even see ancient Mayan ruins. The amount of greenery and natural beauty makes me realize that I am lucky, for however long, to be a visitor in Guatemala, but also to call it my home for a few years.

1 comment:

pedrosection1 said...

Hi Mr.TOpf Is Pedro Here I allready sent you my blog