Thursday, October 16, 2008

If Only I Understood...

There are so many things in life that I just don't get.  Let's start with cars.  That's right, the thing I drive every single day.  The thing I've been driving for the last 11 YEARS!  And yet, I must confess, I don't understand a thing about how my car actually works.  I couldn't change my own oil if I had to, so you can imagine how I feel when I hear the breaks start making odd noises, or when the engine doesn't sound quite right.  Ignorance is scary.

Let's move on to cooking.  Yep, I understand how to eat perfectly well.  Place anything in front of me, and I'll know whether I should use a fork, spoon, knife, or whether I should just grab it with my bare hands and scarf it down.  But cooking...hah!  Not a chance.  My cooking repertoire consists of egg sandwiches, a couple pasta dishes, and maybe cookies.  (If I followed the directions, I'm sure I could make some mean chocolate-chip cookies.)  You know, I keep telling myself that I will learn how to cook one day, but the days just keep on passin' by.  Ignorance is annoying.  

We'll end with myself.  I must admit, that sometimes I just do not understand why I do some of the things I do.  I'm like Anne Frank.  I know I should do one thing--like learn to cook--but I do the exact opposite.  I make decisions I know aren't always beneficial.  I say things, and immediately wonder, "What in the world was I thinking?"  But, I will say this: I understand more about myself now, than I ever did when I was 13.  I also understand far more about the world than I ever have before.  And the most important thing I've come to understand and accept, is that I will never understanding everything. Ignorance is unavoidable.    

1 comment:

SuHwanCAG4 said...

I'm the same but I am different in two things. First, I don't drive. I also don't know how the car works neither how to put oil in it, but I'm sure that if I put a little effort of knowing what I'm using I'll understand. The other thing that I'm different is that, I really don't need to care how to cook right now. My mom cooks for me. Even though sometimes I think that cooking is easy, it isn't as easy as it looks.