Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Significantly Unimportant Role of Beauty

Our society is infatuated with beauty.  We love it.  We crave it.  We pay for it even.  Look at the beautiful cars we drive, the people we pay to make our homes immaculate, and the amount of money we throw away on beauty products.  Beauty has become such an obsession that has distorted our reality.  Rather than being content with who we are and what we have, we constantly degrade ourselves because we're not "perfect" enough.  

I suppose this obsession wouldn't bother so much if we shed a little more light on the inner beauty we all possess.  But it remains hidden.  Movies and advertisements are so fixated on polishing up the exterior, that we rarely have the opportunity to see the beauty that lies within.  And we have to be honest with ourselves too, and admit that very, very few of us look like the people we see on TV.  Why?  Because THEY don't even look like they do on TV.  With makeup and technology, anyone can be transformed into something "beautiful."  The problem is, that isn't true beauty.  True beauty is finding acceptance with what we were given, and learning to embrace our imperfections.  Confidence is beautiful.  Unselfishness is beautiful.  Intelligence and awareness are beautiful.  We should work on cultivating these things, and less time trimming our eyebrows or going to the salon.

Oh, and do I think I'm beautiful.  ABSOLUTELY.  I'm confident, I believe in who I am, I give so much of myself to others, and I look at life as a blessing each and every day.  These things make me far more beautiful than any haircut, or any article of clothing.  

4 comments:

Angelacag2 said...

haha.. I saw your comment about the picture saying "Beleive" but that was on purpose to make it more pretty.. I guess

Mr. Campbell said...

Great words! I always aspire to be a word master just like you!

SuHwanCAG4 said...

I don't...

··kayla·· said...

and that picture Mr.Campbell? jajaj